quarta-feira, 29 de maio de 2013

Exercícios de inglês para o ensino médio III - Escola Egídia Cavalcante Chagas


The body is the hero

The total blood volume in our body circulates once every 13 seconds. 60 quarts of blood pass to the brain and the kidneys per hour, and return to the heart at the same rate.

Those tremendous volumes give us the ability to run, to keep enough oxygen and sugar moving to our legs and arms so that our muscles can move after hours of continuous effort. But the price we have to pay for all this quickness and power is severe one. A bacterium from a cut in your finger can reach your brain in a little over four seconds. A pneumococcus in your lungs can reach the bones of your arms in three seconds.

With a circulatory system such as we have, we certainly need protection. And it is there: a group of chemical protectors and microbial killers so quick and so powerful that, in spite of our size, our circulatory system and all our human mistakes, we survive.

This remarkable system of protection is within us. It is provided  by the antibodies that patrol our circulation, by the white cells and lymphocytes that guard our tissues, by all the other elements that make up our body’s immune system.

To cure a disease you must help the body to do it itself. The work is done by the body, not by science, not by antibiotics. Antibiotics only buy time. They fight microbes, they retard their growth, they may even kill a few; but in the end it is the body itself that must clean up the battlefield, find and destroy that last resistant microbe.

All the drugs and technical achievements in infectious diseases have done nothing more than help the body’s own immune system. They give us time, the precious time to mount a defense, but nothing more. The body is the hero.

(in Amadeus Marques, 2010, volume 3, p. 09-10)

 

01. Escreva sem rasura em inglês:

a) “O trabalho é feito pelo corpo, não pela ciência nem pelos antibióticos.”

_____________________________________________________________________________________b) “Mas o preço que temos de pagar por toda essa rapidez e poder é severo.”

________________________________________________________________________________.

(c) “É o próprio corpo que deve limpar o campo de batalha (...).”

_______________________________________________________________________________

........................................................................

02. A seqüência verbo, adjetivo e substantivo pode ser vista em:

 

(a) circulation circulate, circulatory…… circulação

(b) resistance, resist, resistant……………resistência

(c) infect, infectious, infection…………..infecção

(d) protective, protectively, protect….….proteção

(e) microbe, microbial, microbially…...…micróbio

 

..........................................................................

Diferente da voz ativa, em que a ênfase está em quem praticou a ação, ou seja, no sujeito, a passiva se preocupa em enfatizar o objeto, ou seja, aquele que sofre a ação expressa pelo verbo.

 

They  built the house. (Elas construíram a casa).

 The house was built by them. (A casa foi construída por elas).

 

Na voz passiva, primeiro colocarmos o objeto no início da frase.e utilizamos uma locução verbal (verbo “to be” no tempo do verbo da voz ativa mais o particípio desse verbo) e acrescentamos by logo após a locução verbal para indicar o agente da passiva.

Entretanto quando o sujeito da voz ativa for indeterminado (someone – alguém, people – pessoas), não se coloca o agente da passiva (aquele que sofreu a ação pelo verbo), nem by.

Voz ativa: Someone opened the gate. (Alguém abriu o portão).

Voz passiva: The gate was opened. (O portão foi aberto).

Na passiva o verbo to be pode surgir como, por exemplo:

 

Presente simples: am, is, are

Passado simples: was,.were

Futuro simples: will/shall be

Presente perfeito: has/have been

Presente continuo: am/is/are being

Passado perfeito: had been

Passado continuo: was/were being

Modais: can/could/may/might/must/ought to/should/would be

 

03. Uma carta estava sendo escrita por Bob.

 

(a) A letter was written by Bob.

(b) A letter will be written by Bob.

(c) A letter is going to be written by Bob.

(d) A letter is being written by Bob.

(e) A letter had been written by Bob.

(f) A letter was being written by Bob.

…………………………………………..

04. Match:

(I) Brasília was founded                  

(II) Hamlet was written

(III) Macaroni was invented           

(IV) Soccer can be played

(V) The Twin Towers were destroyed

 

(_) by William Shakespeare.

(_) by the Chinese people.

(_) in 1960 by JK.

(_) by suicide terrorists.

(_) with a light and small ball.

 

(a) II, III, I, V, IV.   (c) III, V, II, IV, I.    (e) V, III, IV, II, I.

(b) I, IV, II, III, V.   (d) IV, V, I, II, III.

......................................................................

Certos verbos como give, show, tell, teach, offer, promise e ask podem ser usados com dois objetos (complementos) verbais.

Na voz ativa, o objeto indireto (em geral uma pessoa) aparece antes do objeto direto (em geral uma coisa). Na voz passiva, o objeto indireto passa a ser o sujeito.

Assim, os pronomes oblíquos (complementos: me, you, him, her, it, us, them) da voz ativa são transformados em pronomes retos (sujeitos: I, you, he, she, it, we, they) na voz passiva.

Nesta situação, os verbos são traduzidos na 3ª pessoa do plural como, por exemplo, “deram, mostraram, contaram, ensinaram, ofereceram, prometeram e pediram”.

 

05. Marque a opção com a sequência correta:

(I) Someone has promised her a raise in salary.

(II) Someone asked me to wait.

(III) I was asked to wait.

(IV) She has been promised a raise in salary.

(_) Prometeram-lhe um aumento de salário

(_) Alguém prometeu-lhe um aumento de salário.

(_) Pediram-me para esperar.

(_) Alguém me pediu para esperar.

 

(a) I, IV, III, II.    (c) IV, I, III, II.     (e) II, III, I, IV.

(b) I, II, IV, III.    (d) III, II, IV, I.

.............................................

My Will

One Day a doctor will determine that my brain has ceased to function and that, for all intents and purposes, my life has stopped. When that happens, I want you to read my will.

When my hour comes, do not attempt to introduce artificial life into my body by the use of a machine. I want you to give my sight to the man who has never seen a sunrise, a baby’s face or love in the eyes of a woman. Give my heart to a person whose own heart has caused nothing but endless days of pain. Give my blood to the teenager who was pulled from the wreckage of his car, so that he might live to see his grandchildren play. Give my kidneys to one who depends on a machine to exist from week to week. Take my bones, every muscle, every fiber and nerve in my body and find a way to make a crippled child walk.

Explore every corner of my brain. Take my cells, if necessary, and let them grow so that, someday, a speechless boy will be able to shout as his team scores a goal and a deaf girl will hear the sound of rain against her windows.

Burn what is left of me and scatter the ashes to the winds to help the flowers grow.

If you really want to bury something, let it be my faults, my weaknesses, and all prejudice against my fellow man.

Give my sins to the devil. Give my soul to God.

If you wish to remember me, do it with a kind deed or word to someone who needs you.

If you do all I have asked, I will live forever.

(Robert Noel in Amadeus Marques, 2010, p. 23-24. Volume 3)

 

06. Escreva sem rasura em inglês:

a) “Dê meu coração a uma pessoa cujo próprio coração causou nada exceto dias sem fim  de dor.”

____________________________________________________________________________________.

b) “Dê meu sangue ao adolescente que foi retirado dos escombros de um carro.”

______________________________________________________________________________.

c) “Quero que voce dê meu suspiro ao homem que nunca viu o nascer do sol (...).”

_____________________________________________________________________________.

 

...................................................................................

Um dos recursos empregados no processo de “formação de palavras” em uma língua é através de sufixos (acrescentados após o final da palavra) para modificar o sentido base de um vocábulo. É o chamado processo de “WORD FORMATION”, algo comum tanto ao português como ao inglês e outras línguas.

O sufixo less é acrescentado a substantivos para gerar adjetivos que significam ausência, carência, não suficiência.

Care = cuidado.....careless = descuidado (sem cuidado)

Use = utilidade.... useless = inútil (sem utilidade)

O sufixo ness é adicionado a adjetivos para formar substantivos abstratos e expressar o estado ou condição de algo.

Sad = triste..........sadness = tristeza

Dark = escuro....darkness = escuridão

 

07. Marque sem rasura a sequência correta de associação:

(I) Happiness is hard to find.      (II) Ten trees are leafless.

(III) It is an act of kindness.        (IV) Try sugarless food.

(V) There’s no darknesss.now.   (VI) This is very hopeless.

 

(_) É um ato de bondade.

(_) Isto é muito desesperador.

(_) Felicidade é difícil de encontrar.

(_) Dez árvores estão sem folhas.

(_) Não há escuridão agora.

(_) Experimente comida sem açúcar.

 

(a) II, V, VI, I, IV, III.

(b) VI, V, IV, I, III, II.

(c) I, III, II, IV, VI, V. 

(d) III, VI, I, II, V, IV.

(e) IV, VI, III, I, V, II.

..................................................

 

IDIOMATISMOS são características de uma determinada língua.

 

Língua
Sujeito
Verbo
Complemento
Verbo
Inglês
I
want
you
(not) to read
Português
Eu
quero
que você
(não) leia

 

O inglês usa o verbo no infinitivo (to read) e o português prefere o verbo no modo subjuntivo (leia).

 

08. Baseado nas palavras mais fáceis e conhecidas, marque a tradução de “Eles disseram-lhe para esperar a mãe deles”.

 

(a) She asked him to go her. 

(b) I warned them not to run on the street.

(c) My father begged me not to accept a fight.

(d) He expects me not to do that again.

(e) They told her to wait their mother.

(f) We would like our teacher to come early.

(g) You taught me to love good people.

………………………………………………………

Em inglês, as sentenças iniciadas por IF (se) e UNLESS (a menos) recebem o nome de ORAÇÕES CONDICIONAIS.

 

Oração condicional
Oração principal
Idéia
If you love me
(Se me amas)
study English.
(verbo no imperativo)
A condição enseja  ordem
If you help me
(Se me ajudar)
I will live forever.
(verbo no futuro)
A condição é provável
If you study
(Se você estuda)
you learn.
(verbo no presente)
A condição é natural
If she doesn’t study
(Se ela não estudar)
she won’t pass.
(verbo no futuro)
A condição é provável
Unless she studies
(A menos que estude
she won’t pass.
(verbo no futuro)
A condição é provável

 

09. Qual frase NÃO EXPRESSA uma condição possível de vir a ser realizada em um certo momento futuro?

(a) If you give me a minute, I will go with you.

(b) Buy a dictionary if you don’t have one.

(c) If they don’t stop shouting, I will leave the room.

(d) We will never find happiness unless we learn how to share.

(e) You won’t help me unless you donate blood.

…………………………………………………..

As orações subordinadas que expressam uma noção de futuro podem ser introduzidas por expressões que expressam tempo (when, as soon as, until, before, after) ou condição (If, unless).

 

10. Mamãe vai ficar louca quando ouvir sobre isso.

(a) They won’t behave unless you shout at them.

(b) Mother must wait here until he comes.

(c) Mother will get mad when she hears about this.

(d) Call my mother if anything goes wrong.

(e) She will call us as soon as she gets to school.

…………………………………………………….

 

11. Leia e escreva em inglês:

 

When in Home (Quando em casa):

Never waste water. Turn off the tap when you are not using water. Use the water once used to wash vegetables or salad to water your houseplants. Don't leave fridge doors open for longer than required. It would help save energy. Turn off electrical and electronic equipments when they are not in use. You could thus save power. Use rechargeable batteries and recycle your paper, glass, plastics and other waste. Set up a system of collecting rainwater and using it later.

 http://lifestyle.iloveindia.com/lounge/how-to-help-environment-3599.html 05/05/2013, 16:35.

 

 “Desligue equipamentos elétricos quando eles não estiverem em uso”.

____________________________________________________________________________________.

 

Deus abençoe aos que praticam a caridade!

The LORD is my shepherd, I lack nothing.

He makes me lie down in green pastures, he leads me beside quiet waters, he refreshes my soul.  He guides me along the right paths for his name's sake.

Even though I walk  through the darkest valley,  I will fear no evil,  for you are with me;  your rod and your staff,  they comfort me.

You prepare a table before me in the presence of my enemies.  You anoint my head with oil; my cup overflows.

Surely your goodness and love will follow me all the days of my life,  and I will dwell in the house of the LORD  forever.

Salmos 23:1-6

 

 

Nenhum comentário:

Postar um comentário